Thursday, March 29, 2012

D.H Lawrence Hand-painted windows









Actually gasped when I saw these. D.H Lawrence hand-painted these stain glass windows at the Mabel Dodge Luhan house in Taos, New Mexico. Mabel Luhan was a fascinating woman - a patron of the arts who moved in some pretty illustrious circles. When the library is open again, (workers have been on strike here in Toronto) I'd like to read her 1933 autobiography Intimate Memories.

Back to the windows. Can you imagine having a little salt soak in that tub, with the sun all up in your nether regions and your brain about to explode from gratitude and joy? It's actually a tangible dream, because the house is open to the public (!)

On the website it is described as "Offering Supportive Solitude for Creative Reflection". I'm not sure I've ever heard of anything so enticing.Why is it so rare that creativity, reflection, and beauty are virtues and actively encouraged? This is the life I yearn for.

PS - Dennis Hopper wrote Easy Rider here.
PSS - this post is dedicated to Spencer Ramsay

photos via commune

2 comments:

cmctang said...

Gorgeous. I like the new look of the blog too!

Anonymous said...

I actually got to soak in that room and it was amazing. My teenage daughter and I stayed in the house years ago. That night, after my memorable soak, as I was drifting off to sleep there was a knock on my door. It was another guest. "Sorry to disturb you but you won't want to miss this." We pulled a big blanket around our shoulders and joined him on the front garden where we witnessed--of all things--the Northern Lights. Magical place.